Who knows Campines AND White Leghorns' dispositions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickensAreSweet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am considering selling some of my flock to make space for some Leghorns.

I want more reliable egglaying. I currently have Golden Campines, and plan to keep them ALL. I LOVE them. I have heard that Leghorns are a lot of trouble because they are flighty. But so are Golden Campines (flighty, but not a lot of trouble). I want to compare them, because if the Leghorns aren't worse than Campines, I will be quite happy.

1. Are the Leghorns flightier than the Campines?

2. Are the Leghorn roosters a barrel o' trouble? My hubby says, "Surely you don't want a Leghorn rooster!!!!?"

3. Should I just buy some Buff Minorcas? Or Anconas?

I want a large white egg (the bigger the better) most days of the week from each hen. I don't need dual purpose hens.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Both are flighty breeds. But if you can put up with them stick with them, they are truly both good laying breeds.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Thank you!

4. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you considered Hamburgs? Their eggs are small but you get many of them. A beautiful bird like your Campines and just as flighty...but I love to watch them.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Yes, I am still considering getting some Hamburgs too. The feed store sells those sometimes when it is chick season. I think they are beautiful. They would fly over my 7 foot high fence just like the Golden Campines....I'm used to chickens doing that.

My husband rolls his eyes at small eggs though. I am trying to make him happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by