1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who knows how to adjust thermostat on hovabator 1588?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I am having trouble after a power outage and the incubator is not getting back up to temp. I don't know what the heck I am doing now. I reset it to the factory setting - however that is way too low for some reason... always has been on this one. So I am trying to raise the temp with out frying the eggs in the process... I am trying to read the instructions and can't make head or tail of it ... I need someone to explain it in plain ENglish [​IMG] It is the 1588 Genesis wide range adjustments page and it explains the lowering the temp pretty clearly but I can't translate it to the raising of the temperature. I feel pretty silly but there are some neurons not functioning well - may be stress [​IMG] Please help someone?

2. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    It has been quite some time since I last incubated and can't remember now if it is heating when the little red light is off, flashing or stays on? I am watching the temps and noticed that the red light is off most of the time with an occasional flash. Does that mean it is not heating and is just keeping the temp 'stable' or does that mean that it is in the process of heating it up? sorry about the questions... appreciate the help though!

3. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Godiva , my hovabator is a 1602n and I'm not sure how similar they are but mine is heating when the light is on and to increase the heat you have to turn it counterclockwise. It also takes one full turn per degree allowing for fine adjustment. I hope this helps.

4. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    That sounds so nice and easy!! I am jealous now [​IMG] Mine is a 1588 and you have to toggle all these different number switches in differing order to get the temp adjusted. A dial is so simple and easy - if I ever make my own incubator I will be sure to incorporate something nice and basic like that!

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have the little giant idk if its similar at all, but the red light goes on and off as the temp drops or somthing, it stays off when it holding the temp, mine also has the dial tho. good luck on ur eggs, hope all goes well

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Godiva,

If you figured out how to go lower, try reversing the pattern in the directions for lower. For example, set them all to the last picture and work 'em backwards from the last page/picture to the first page/picture. May work. My little dinky LG and my homemade one both have a dial. On the LG, if the light is on, the element is on; light off, element off; light flickering = doing a quick on/off to maintain temp. I think that would be the same for you.

<edited since I found something>

Okay, looking at the manual from the website, it goes from cooler to hotter left to right. Flip 'em all down and click the 3rd one up. See if that does the trick. Give it about an hour to do it's thing. If that one is still too cool, flip it back to the bottom and raise the next one to the right (#4).

The book also says if there is sudden temp spike, just toggle the EXISTING on switch and it should reset. Might work the same way as with a power failure like you had. Can you remember which one was on and which ones were off?

http://www.randallburkey.com/images/1588_Instruction_Manual_2.pdf for anyone who can makes heads or tails out of it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    I get it I have been having trouble with my hova bator too! I can't understand it either! The temp is staying really high. My first hatch didn't hatch because of it. The other eggs are coming in the mail this week and my incubator isn't working correctly. I called customer service and they said the technition would call back in one hour. Its been a month and they never called. I hope your incubator starts working correctly.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow it sounds like all of yours is electronic not analog controls, yuck! My little giant is electronic and every time we have a power surge it wants to go nuts.[​IMG] You also have to use toggles, I think I'd go nuts.[​IMG] I thought I'd never say this but I like the older technology . I bought my hovabator from a feed store and the box had more than an eighth inch of dust on it. I almost didn't buy it because it looked like it had been there a long time, the box had started slightly yellowing, now I'm glad I did.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by