Who Knows Speckled Sussex?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick15, May 28, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

Is this a speckled sussex? she/he is supposed to be, but the more I see her the less i think she/he is.... maybe a regular sussex? i dont know because because I have never had chickens before. the others look like this:

[​IMG]

the feathering is just different, lighter.... it always has been though, look...

[​IMG]

You can see her at the top left, just under the silver laced wyandottes (the black ones)

Does anyone know??? i am curious..

2. susannemw

susannemw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Maine
    Looks like my speckled sussex. Each one of mine has a different pattern.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

top left? or top right?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Looks like my SS also. Their feathers change after each molt.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yes, looks just like a special sussex! oops I mean Speckled Sussex, pretty too!
    some of mine are lighter some darker too, there just individual, when they get older some will be mostly mohogney with little white and some will have bunches and bunches of white Its fun watching them grow out Dotti was dark Mohogney with little white spots and Uno is almost white with Mohogney mixed in there.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

I have one that does not look like my other either. Some one told me it may be a roo or it may be a runt. One has the pretty speckles this one is just brown tan
    mahogany colors and is smaller then the others. His /her carriage is all different also so we will wait to see. we call it nosy because it's the first one to check
    every thing out.[​IMG]

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Do you have a picture ?

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine is very dark and very white all at once. Her mahogany color is deep and rich but she also has a very white belly and wing tips like yours. I think that the color has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with lineage.

9. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:They all start out like that, mine are all 7 weeks old Babies, they won't get their true colors til there much older, how old are your babies all five of my young ones have mostly white chests and bellys and white feathers on the bottomside of their wings all of that will change and clear up as they mature.

10. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    chickensducks&agoose :

top left? or top right?

oops.. i ment top right...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by