Who knows their pumpkins??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Oct 11, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    A friend of mine has a pumpkin growing wild in her yard. The pumpkins look ALOT like the shape of normal pumpkins but are the color and texture of butternut squash...... I have searched all sorts of varieties, but gad I had no idea how many there were!!

Any guesses what type of pumpkin this could be??

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    pic? [​IMG]

yeah there are sure alot of pumpkins outs there.
    i saw for the first time a "white" pumpkin... it was real pretty. dont know why i didnt buy it. [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    We have those, also, but I have no clue what their official variety is called. [​IMG]

BTW they make WONDERFUL pies!

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Casper.... that is what we call em.

5. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG]

Like these? These are Long Island Cheese squash. They make the best pie!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    You guys are SO smart! But, I don't think thats it.

I looked and the Long ISland cheese are usually shorter than tall. This one was the same size as a standard medium pumpkin. And the ribs were shallower than usual.

This one DID have deep orange flesh (smelled great too.) I had NO IDEA there were so many varieties!!!

Any other guesses??

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Could be a mutt....

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:You're right especially since it came up wild. Gorgeous fruit but she's afraid to eat it since it came up in a dog poo compost pile. [​IMG]

9. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG]
    Lumina pumpkins? They are bright orange inside.

10. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    There are more varieties of pumpkins (winter squash) than you can shake a stick at.

Around here is where they grow the Libby's pumpkins. What's interesting is that they don't look like jack-o-lantern pumpkins at all. They're tan skinned like a butternut and shaped more like a spagetti squash. I've read that they're actually a type of butternut and not a 'pumpkin'.

I grew about an acre of winter squash this year. Mostly Kabocha (Japanese type of winter squash), quite a few butternuts, acorn squash, pie type orange pumpkins, a couple of carving pumpkins (takes a breath), a 'blue pumpkin' plant, neck pumpkins and I'm probably forgetting a variety. Anyhow, I don't save seeds from them because sometimes they'll cross and then you have no idea what you're growing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by