Who laid a mini egg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carpe DiHen, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I have (3) 21 week old pullets and I got my first egg today. [​IMG]

They are all standards: Jersey Giant, Brahma, and Cochin.

Who laid this little egg?

[​IMG]

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I think they're called 'pullet eggs'. Basically the first tries tend to be small. So, no telling since I believe all three of your breeds are brown egg layers.

3. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    My Jersey Giant lays identical eggs, I keep asking her when she's going to start producing something more in line with her overall size, she's my biggest bird by about a three pound margin, but lays these cute iddy-biddy little eggs!

4. frizzlefritz

frizzlefritz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Aldergrove
    who ever has the redest come probably laid it, atleast thats what I go by haha

5. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:My Jersey Giant is named Mini because she was the smallest chick and is smaller than the other two pullets. I was thinking Mini laid the mini egg, but the Cochin is rated to lay small eggs? [​IMG]

How old is your JG?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    First egg is always tiny, don't care whether you've got a banty or a giant [​IMG] Give the girls a good looking over to see who looks most mature, check to see if any of them squat, and check the pubic bones if you know how, but just looking at the egg's size isn't going to tell you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I've been getting those too and several of my brown egg layers are squatting. I am assuming it's the one with the largest floppiest comb. [​IMG]

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

My cochin's eggs are a much lighter brown. My money's on the JG, too.

9. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Haven't checked in for a couple of days so slow to answer if you are still interested. My JG is about eight months old now. I picked her up this evening for the first time in a while and I swear she weighs twelve pounds! She's big and beautiful, and dumb as a bucket of rocks, lol.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yeah, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they make up for it by being fabulous! I love my JGs. I want a whole flock of them. I love those big beauties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by