1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Laid a White Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbiamama, Jan 22, 2010.

1. suburbiamama

suburbiamama Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Our black minorca, the only white egg layer we have (or so we thought), died last week of egg yolk peritonitis:(. So imagine my surprise to find a white egg in the coop yesterday, and this morning! Most likely from a black austrolorp, buff orpington or golden-laced wyandotte. Any ideas? (We also have a silver-laced wyandotte, ameraucana, RI red, and lakenvelder.)

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    The Lakenvelder! [​IMG]

Silver Lakenvelder Chicken - Baby: white/ yellow head, chest and wing tips while the remaining down is black. Mature: Surface color slate white with black neck and tail feathers. Head, neck and tail is black. Lays a white egg.
    http://www.welphatchery.com/rare/lakenvelder_silver.asp

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Robin'sBrood :

The Lakenvelder! [​IMG]

Silver Lakenvelder Chicken - Baby: white/ yellow head, chest and wing tips while the remaining down is black. Mature: Surface color slate white with black neck and tail feathers. Head, neck and tail is black. Lays a white egg.
    http://www.welphatchery.com/rare/lakenvelder_silver.asp

Yup, the lakenvelder.​

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I agree, the Lakenvelder

5. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    I have a silver lace wyandotte that lays an almost white egg every day or so.

6. suburbiamama

suburbiamama Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Thanks! Funny--we thought our Black Minorca was awfully productive! Now that explains why her eggs varied so much in size sometimes, haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by