Who laid it? Help me solve the mystery

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I have 3 BR, 2 WL, 1 BA, 1RIR, 1 RSL, 1 Ameracauna, and a NHR rooster (obviously he didn't do it!). They are all 27 weeks old, except the Ameracauna, who is probably 25 weeks (got her later) I have gotten as many as 8 eggs in 1 day before. The RSL started laying dark brown eggs at 18 weeks. The others (except the Ameracauna, I think) have been laying for at least a month now. Last week my DH said we got another dark brown egg one day, but I thought maybe he was confused. I was working long days at the time.
This morning, there was a dark brown egg on top of the nest boxes. About an hour later, I went out to the coop, and Vickie (RSL) had laid her dark brown egg in the same nest box she always does.
So, did my Ameracauna lay the other dark brown egg? I thought they laid blue or green. Or has she been laying the nearly pink egg, and someone else (maybe the RIR) has started laying the dark brown eggs?
I can't really sit out there watching, any comments are appreciated.
30785_2009_1108yard0011.jpg

From the top left: 1. mystery egg 2. RSL 3. ??? 4. WL 5. WL 6. BR? 7. BR 8. BA
Here's a picture of my Ameracauna, hard to get a pic, she's very fast and skittish.
30785_2009_1108yard0009.jpg

Like I have read and mentioned before......put lipstick on the EE's vent and you will know which egg is hers when she lays it. Just don't use the lipstick for yourself afterwards.
big_smile.png
My RIR lays the darker brown eggs of my flock of SLW, Aust. and BO.

I like the lipstick suggestion...I have an ameracauna/EE hen that looks just like yours except that she has no tailfeathers, she lays a pretty blue egg...I have another am/EE hen that lays a pink egg, so it could be your EE that is laying the pinkish egg. It could be the RIR laying the second dark egg, as they do lay a darker brown egg. I had barred rocks that laid lighter eggs like what you have pictured...I guess the only way to know for sure is to catch them in the act as to who is doing what...I have never tried the lipstick idea, but that sounds interesting! hope you can figure it out...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom