Who laid that???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknsnbiskits, Oct 22, 2008.

1. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Hi yall!
    We have 8 girls, all hatched May 30. Daisy, our Pearl Leghorn, has been laying beautiful little white eggs for several weeks now. Whenever we go into the coop, she gets into this stiff "defensive stance" which is adorable to me. A couple of the other girls haave recently started doing the same thing. The other girls we were expecting to start laying end of November/start of December, when they reach 6 months old.
    We were surprised to see little pinky-light-brown eggs in the nest box beginning this week! We're only "sure" of the breed of about half of our birds, (the Pearl Leghorn, Golden Polish, Silver-spangled Hamburg, and Black Australorp) We THINK two of the others are black Araucanas, and then we have the "mystery birds" - one red and one black.
    We DON'T KNOW who's laying these new brown eggs!
    I don't know if it's really that important, but we'd really like to know. How do you figure out who's laying what in a group like this? Or am I the only one who bothers with stuff like that? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a mystery bird laying pinkish brown eggs too. We first thought she was an EE, but her feathers are coming in more and more and we don't know what she is!!!

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    BTW [​IMG]

5. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Cool website!!! Thank you!
    That confirmed that "Penguin" definitely is a Black Australorp. I'll have to do more digging to identify the breeds of a couple of the others now...
    Thanks again

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I have black australorps, and we just got our first few eggs this week. They are about the color of pine shavings, maybe slightly darker. I posted a picture of our first egg in this topic under the 'show your first egg' subject. Congrats on your new eggs!!! [​IMG]

7. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, I'm 95% sure I know who is laying the eggs now... if only I knew what breed she is. We've been calling her an Araucana (or Black Araucana), but I'm not sure, especially after looking at other pictures. Is this a place to post a picture for identifying help? I have 4 girls I could use that for.

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    There is a topic in the index on breed/gender that you could use for posting pictures to help us identify your chickens. Can't wait to see them!!! [​IMG]

9. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
  10. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, we have things figured out now.
    The white eggs ARE from the Pearl Leghorn
    The light brown (or sometimes pink, or buff) eggs are from the Dark Cornish (the "Auracana" or "EE"... /rolleyes).
    The eggs that look lavender-ish, until they get wet, then they look terracotta red... those are from the Black Australorp.

YAY!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by