Who laid the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kylara70, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I have 3 laying hens. I have 2 black austrolorps (mixed, I'm sure) and one ameracauna (mixed I know). Here are pics of one of the BA and the Ameracauna (EE). I get 3 different eggs, one white, one olive and one blue. Who is laying what?

BA (pics of one but they are a matched pair) Mary Kate and Ashley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EE (Sparks)
    [​IMG]

You can see her legs below the bamboo perch.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Carol O.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    I wanted to say that I've done my homework with no results. None of my girls (as advertised breed) should be laying a WHITE egg. Also, the olive and the blue are similar size and shape (so you would think it was the matched pair of hens). However, my ameraucana SHOULD be laying the blue and the BA SHOULD be laying brown. I am just completely confused. I know now that I was mis-led when I purchased these birds but I would still like to know who is laying which eggs.

Thanks for any help

3. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    I guess I posted too early in the afternoon, does anyone have any ideas to help me figure this out? Even if you only want to say that my breeds are wrong, that would be helpful. Thanks.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    can you coop 1 up seperately each day see which 1 lays which egg. all you can do is be there when they lay to find out or seperate them.

5. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    well, in case anyone was following my questions, I found out partial answer (and, assuming my breed info is correct, maybe the whole answer)

Mary Kate - Black Austrolorp - olive egger
    Ashley - Black Austrolorp - blue egger
    Sparks - Ameracauna - white egg

6. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have read that EE can lay white eggs. were did you get your chicks? your EE is real cute. looks like she has a top knot.the others could be BA and EE mix. are they the same age?My BA are bigger then the EE litter mates.

7. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    I got my hens from a local "breeder". My EE is also smaller (A LOT) than my BA. MY BA are younger than my EE by a month. BA should NOT be laying blue or olive if they were pure bred, right? They would be laying brown eggs?

Thanks!

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is that your girls are mixed and that would explain the different egg colors.

Oh well... just make scrambled eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by