who laid the eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchicks, Nov 4, 2009.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    We got our first teeny tiny egg last Thursday, our second on Monday, and our third today [​IMG] They are all itty bitty, a light brown/tan. We have 4 pullets, two, I know are not the layers, which leaves my BR and my cochin/silkie cross. The BR is a week younger than the rest of the girls, her comb and wattles are not very developed and very pale, but she has been the Head Hen from the beginning. The cochin/silkie has the most developed wattles/earlobes, etc, but I thought silkies were "late bloomers", and was expecting her to be the last to lay. But, none the less, I am preeeetty sure it is the cochin/silkie who is laying. She is the one who liked to sit in the nesting boxes long before the eggs appeared. Also, she has become much friendlier over the last couple of weeks. Is that a common before a hen is about to start laying? I am dying to know who it is... [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    Does your cochin 'squat' when you reach out to pet her? That behavior almost always precedes egg-laying by about a week or two. If you reach out to touch your hen, even a normally skittish one, they will flatten out their backs and put their wings out from their bodies a little bit. They will hold still like that until you are done petting them and then walk away and do a big fluffed out shake.
    I end up sneaking out to peek in the nest boxes on the weekend to see who is laying- it's never the ones I suspect!

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Yes she does... But, they all do that [​IMG] But.... she was pretty shy and didn't want to be petted or picked up until a couple weeks ago. Now, she is the second one (the BR is always the first) to come over and say [​IMG] and even enjoys being held and petted, she "coos", it's soo cute. She does seem to squat "more" than the others, she practically lays down [​IMG] If it is her, shouldn't the eggs start getting bigger? I can see her eggs staying pretty small, but the BR eggs should be bigger, right? How long does that process take? Does the fact that she has the largest and most colorful wattles/earlobes mean she is the most developed? The other three have very little development and little to no color. It's so exciting watching them grow up... [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The red comb and wattles is a good indication it is your cochin mix that is laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by