Who laid the speckled egg?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
I have 7 pullets all just shy of 20 weeks. 2 are already laying and 1 started today. But who did it??

Here's the new egg and also a comparison pic to the other 2 layers to see that it's not one of theirs.

IMG_20200803_090434.jpg
IMG_20200803_090406.jpg

IMG_20200803_090532.jpg

Here are the suspects:

Britney (Welsummer) -- only because of her breed. She is not showing any other signs of laying. No interest in oyster shells, no interest in the nesting boxes and no squatting. Her comb is also very pale. But she's a Welsummer and they are speckled layers.

IMG_20200803_100749.jpg

Natasha (Russian Orloff) -- She is very interested in oysters and nesting boxes and squats a little but still such a pale comb and not known for speckled eggs I don't think. She loves watching the Leghorn lay and will bring her feathers to put in the box.

IMG_20200803_100859.jpg

Jolene (Barnevelder) -- No interest in nesting boxes. Haven't seen her eating oyster shells. No squatting. Comb has gotten slightly redder in the last few days but not super dark.

IMG_20200803_100926.jpg

Merida (Golden Laced Wyandotte) -- Very interested in nesting boxes, nibbles at oysters, no squatting. Also enjoys watching the others lay.

IMG_20200803_101515.jpg

Wanda (Red Laced Black Wyandotte) -- No interest in nesting boxes or oysters and no squatting. Has been larger than the others for a long time and has had the very red comb and waddles for weeks.
IMG_20200803_101558.jpg

And just to not leave them out, here's the 2 proud layers that laid the other 2 eggs, Galadriel (Leghorn) and Karen (Mystic Marans)

IMG_20200803_101039.jpg

Help me solve the case of who laid the speckled egg!!

New layers can come out all kinds of weird patterns. Willing to bet later eggs from the hen will be more normal.

You don't think it could be my Marans do you? She just started laying last week and so far her eggs have been solid darker brown (like the one in the picture) and a nice hard shell. But she's a new layer herself so is it possible it was just her?

If anyone is losing sleep over this mystery 😂 I think it was my Marans on a low ink day. I haven't had any more speckled eggs and she didn't lay that day (if it wasn't her). The darkest speckles are similar to her usual color. But she's tracking right with my Leghorn for nearly daily laying which seems crazy but it has to be her I think. She started laying 15 days ago and has laid 12 eggs in that time (if we count the speckled) and she's in the nesting box right now. I didn't think they were such prolific layers but she's on a mission!

Back
Top Bottom