Who laid these eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kmac1, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    I have 4 RIR's, 4 Black Marans (I think, could be black beauties) 5 bantams, only 1 pullet bantam, 1 Bramha pullet 2 Bramha roosters, 10 guieneas. All chickens are approx 16 weeks, guineas about 18-19 weeks. Been waiting on eggs forever it seems and today I found 5 small eggs, some with tiny speckles, the others light tan. See photo. Any guess which one laid the eggs. The 2 I found in the coop were not there yesterday. So I think that rules out the one bantam pullet. The other 3 were under a small trailer where I see all of them from time to time. Maybe guineas not sure. [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Right egg is a guinea egg... left one could be a Marans egg, need a better pic without your shadow over it, lol...

3. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    Thank u I will post Mor tomorrow.

4. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

These are the eggs I've found so far, most had double yolks even though they were so small. I know chickens will get bigger, will the Guinea eggs also get bigger. Thanks.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

In the top 4, the top left is guinea, and I think bottom left and top right are also guinea...

In bottom 4, the top left is guinea, and I think the top right is a Marans... not sure on the other 3... pics of them individually on white paper towel might be easier to tell...

Guinea eggs tend to have sharp points at one end while Marans tend to be more rounded... first eggs can be completely round for either though...

But I think you have at least a couple guineas and at least 1 Marans laying... oh, I do believe guinea eggs will increase in size as they lay... hope this helps... :)

6. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Thanks that helps a lot. Have an awesome day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by