Who laid these?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pelephant, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Pelephant

Pelephant Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    So recently, I bought three Sussex hens and two Golden Comets, all who are supposedly "already laying." I've had them for almost two months with no eggs, and just recently I've been getting one egg a day. One of the Golden Comet's comb and wattle has gotten larger and redder, and she seemed more active than usual, so I assumed it must have been her. But the last two days I've been getting darker, and slightly larger eggs. Is it the same hen laying them? WAS it the Golden Comet who was laying them in the first place? Help appreciated. [​IMG]

Pictures:

The two on the left are the ones I've gotten today and yesterday. The one on the right is the type I've been getting for around 4 or 5 days before yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't know which one laid them but did they peck the egg or did you blow it out?

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    It's fun to speculate but I don't think you could figure it out. The lightly speckled egg is similar to what my Plymouth Rocks produce. I'd be inclined to suspect a Sussex for the lighter egg. But you may as well try to predict the next lottery numbers! [​IMG] Eventually you'll catch them in the act and then you'll know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by