Who laid these?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by championny, Apr 19, 2008.

1. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Can anyone tell me if you know the breed that laid these eggs? I am attaching a picture of my girls.

The eggs in question
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the bottom is a black Silkie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just one of my mysteries.

2. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    From past experience, These eggs are not from the silkys. Thier eggs are more longer than they are wide. Other than that you need to do the eenie meenie miny mo scenario. They could be from any of the other hens without knowing which breeds that they are or crossed with.

3. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of them compared to a quarter.

4. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    OHHH OHHHHH ...... I know i know.........

Hatch them to find out !!! *nods nods* [​IMG]

if nothing else.......a very very good reason to hatch.......yes indeed i would say so!!

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

5. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    My guess is the white Wyandotte. They lay large eggs and they are light to rich brown.

But then again, it could also be the barred rock....they are light to medium brown and large as well.

I like this site for learning about different chicken breeds:
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

6. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I placed them in the incubator so we will see how that goes in about 7 days.

7. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    As an update, I went to collect my eggs this morning (we're getting back into habit now, yay!) and I found two eggs. One in the nest box and the other on the floor. (Hey, I am not complaining as I can't ever get them to lay in the box, so one is good for me)

I noticed that one is short and the other long. The longer one is more whitish in appearance, and the short one a bit more brownish. I will solve this mystery someday!

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I think it depends on the silkie. My silkies lay a cream colored egg and it is not longer really, it is perfectly egg shaped only smaller. I have recieved eggs from others that were longer though. So I guess it just depends on the silkie. They are probably bantam eggs but other than that, I don't have a clue.

Hope you solve the mystery soon.

Marie

9. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I think your Barred Plymouth Rocks layed those eggs. If the eggs are a light beigey kinda color, mine lay eggs that look like those( I have 2 Barred Plymouth Rock hens). Maybe I'm wrong, but they look like it to me lol. Good luck with it.

10. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Well, if these are from any other chicken than the Black Silkie, I wonder..... can a Silkie roo mate with a standard hen? I didn't know of its a species thing or if its possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by