1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who laid this egg? A Dominique? A Buff Orpington? A Rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedChicken, Jan 1, 2012.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    So, one of my recently transplanted birds just laid an egg! It's a light pinkish brown. I'm having a hard time telling from pictures whether it is likely to be from my Dominique, by Buff Orpington or one of my Rhode Island Reds. I own all three. I suspect it was the buff, since she spends the most time hanging around the nest box, but is there any way to distinguish between the three? It's a powdery pinkish buff egg. When I get it wet, it looks more brown, but it dries back to that same matte powdery pinkish tinge.

Here is a picture. The mystery egg is in the middle. The white egg is from the store, and the darker egg is from one of my Marans. I know that the Marans should be laying much darker eggs - I'm unlikely to buy from that breeder again...
    [​IMG]

Here is a comparison to a store-bought egg. You can see a little wet patch where the orangish brown color shows through.
    [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated!

2. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    all of my orp eggs are lighter.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's probably not an Orp, however, on occasion, even one of my Blue Orp hens does lay an egg more on the brown side than cream colored side. You cannot tell which breed for certain laid that egg, but most likely, it is not the Orp.

4. lazyday

lazyday Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Looks like RIR. My BO lay a lighter and a slightly pink color to them

5. Frizzledmom

Frizzledmom New Egg

May 18, 2011
    Rochester, New Hampshire
    Both my Buff lay pinkish brown eggs, I'd say the buff.[​IMG]

6. Mama_Bear

Mama_Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    North Tx
    It is the same color as my RIR.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  7. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Looks the same as the ones my BO lays but I don't have a RIR so I can't eliminate that one.

8. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    RIR,my orps are lighter and pinkish.

9. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    My BO, Pearl, lays a paler, somewhat pinkish egg, but it is NOT matte. It, of my BLRW and JG, is the least matte finished. It is not exactly glossy, but it is not at all chalky. The JG is darker, sometimes speckled, and always matte. The BLRW has only given me 7 examples to qualify, but hers have been very pale and also matte finished.

mm

10. chubbychic

chubbychic New Egg

Dec 30, 2011
    That came from the buff orpington! Our BO's lay that exact same color eggs everyday![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by