Who laid this egg? Golden Comet or Welsummer pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Free2BMe2798, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Free2BMe2798

Free2BMe2798 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    OK so what is this? Is it a Welsummer egg or did it come from one my Golden Comets? I have been getting one spotted egg a week for the last 3 weeks. I thought it was dirty the first time and tried to was them off. The spots are in a pretty, fine sprinkling pattern. Also the spotted eggs have a dull shine to them after I wash & dry them unlike the dullness of the rest of the brown eggs I get. (you can kinda see one in the lower corner of the pic.) I didn't think the GCs laid spotted eggs, and if one of them were laying a spotted egg, what would make it only happen once a week? Also I only have 4 GCs and they are all laying. Every time I get a a spotted egg, I only get 3 GC eggs that day. Soooooo that kinda leads me to think it isn't a Wellie but again, why would her eggs grow spots once a week?! I'm confused! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    i think its a welsummer, but it does look a little light colored.......i have a RIR who lays spotted eggs often, and shes the only one who does.

3. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote Welsummer.

4. Free2BMe2798

Jan 21, 2012
    With the first one I got I thought it was a Welsummer egg also, but then I started second guessing myself. It just seems wrong that I only get 1 spotted egg a week and on the day i get the 1 spotted egg, I only get 3 golden comet eggs instead of 4. Plus I had been told the Welsummers lay the same pattern of spots with each egg so you can tell who was laying once you figure out which bird was laying which patterned egg. The spotted egg in the pic of the egg carton is from the week before and has a different pattern of spots. I'm actually hoping it is one of the GCs because if my wellie girls are only going to lay once a week, I'm going to get rid of them.

5. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I have golden sex links, which I think are the same as golden comets, and one of my girls once laid a speckled egg like that. Only one though, and they have been laying for 2 months.

6. Chickinn

Chickinn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    I have 2 golden comets and one of them lays a speckled egg probably about once a week. I also have a Welsummer that isn't laying yet. I vote Golden Comet....

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This is not true. Welsummers can lay a varied pattern. Some days solid color, other days with speckles.

It does look like a wellie egg. They should lay well for you (5-6 a week) - it could be sporadic if she just started laying.

8. Free2BMe2798

Jan 21, 2012
    Happy Chooks, I see from your signature that you breed Welsummers and thus can safely surmise that you are familiar with their eggs?! I got some because I really wanted some spotted eggs, but I was concerned over the one egg a week. I can't afford to feed a hen that lays that infrequently. Thank you so much for the corrected information and the reassurance of how often they will eventually lay.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I breed welsummers and am familiar with their laying habits. Mine are breeder quality (not hatchery) and lay well. Hatchery stock should still lay well though. (I've never had hatchery wellies) Sometimes it takes them a bit to gear up on laying - so I wouldn't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by