Who laid this egg? Who is crowing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by monavillemare, Dec 22, 2016.

1. monavillemare

monavillemare New Egg

May 1, 2015
    My mom has a completely enclosed coop, nothing can get in and nothing gets out. She has 6 chickens. 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Ideal 236, 1 Polish and 1 Golden Penciled Hamburg.
    Two very strange things started happening lately:
    1) Someone is crowing. But all of the birds are over 8 months old. Shouldn't this rooster started crowing sooner? if its a rooster?
    2) Someone is laying a blue tinted egg. There are no Americauna on this pen or even in this neighborhood. We get white eggs from the 236's, we get light brown specked eggs from the Sussex. There is a cream colored egg and a blue. I have Polish and get teardrop cream eggs from them. Could it be that the Hamburg is laying this blue egg? and if so, who is crowing?

We are utterly perplexed. Help.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'd need to post pics of the birds she has for us to say. Maybe one of the girls was misidentified. Those breeds do not lay blue eggs.

Roosters can begin crowing at any time, from a few DAYS old up to a year old.

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    i agree with @speckledhen

but also know that hens can start crowing and take over rooster jobs like protecting the flock, and getting everyone back inside at night

would love to see some pictures

4. speckledhen

Most of the time, a hen doesn't crow exactly like a rooster. I call it "caterwauling", though yes, some do actually sound like a rooster, had a couple do it over the years, but it's more rare than you'd think. I bet there is a "stealth rooster" in the bunch, which is more likely. So many times, we've had the same question come up and when we see the "hens", there are one or two males in the bunch.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    LOL, yep!! i have had a couple too!

6. monavillemare

monavillemare New Egg

May 1, 2015
    I'll go over there today and get some pics. Great ideas y'all thank you. I'll get these pics up ASAP.

7. speckledhen

Shortly after my big Blue Orp rooster, Suede, passed away in 2012, one of his blue hens, one I still have (elderly lady, half blind now, 9 yrs old) crowed once or twice for two days in a row. It was a true rooster-sounding crow. She has never done it since. I think it was almost a grieving thing as he was almost 6 years old and the only rooster she'd ever known.

But, I have had hens who did the big, drawn-out caterwauling wail that is not a crow, per se, but the sound sure does carry! I would not call that crowing. One of my Delaware hens did it (The Mouth of the South, we called her) and one of my tiny Belgian D'anver hens does it when she wants out of her pen.

I still maintain that it's possible there is a crowing hen, but more probable that there is a stealth rooster in the bunch.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking forward to the pics....

[​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

9. speckledhen

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by