Who laid this egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Dec 1, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hello..i have been getting this strange egg for a little while now...i dont have any white egg layers..(at least i dont think i do..)...actually the egg is a cream color..not really white.....who could be laying it?...my breeds are: RIR~Cuckoo Marans~White Rock~Barred Rock~Polish~ Buff Silkie~Polish/Silkie mix~Red Sex Links~Black Sex Links~Aracaunas~Ameracaunas~Silver Spangled Hamburg~Buff Orp's..i think thats it...thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Looks like a silkie egg to me, but I have only seen the ones I bought to hatch.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    SSH's lay whiteish eggs, not brown, so you do have a white egg layer in your flock.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so silkie eggs are white?...i know it couldnt be my pure silkie..cause the egg is usually in a top nest box...and she doesnt fly/jump at all...but..i do have a polish/silkie mix.....who is actually smaller than my silkie..but she roosts with the big girls and all...i didnt know silkies laid white eggs....but...if it is my silkie mix...its a big egg for her...she really is smaller than my regular silkie...[​IMG]..i'm confused...

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have an EE who lays eggs that color.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ahh!..so its my Hamburg!..that makes sense...it would be about her size egg and all...thanks!...[​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:ahh!..so its my Hamburg!..that makes sense...it would be about her size egg and all...thanks!...[​IMG]

I have an SSH too, lays the same color egg. [​IMG]

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Most of the silkie eggs I bought (around 24 so far) have ranged from an off white to cream color. No where near the brown color my black sexlink hens lay.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:well..i do have ameracaunas..which are probably EE's...umm.....[​IMG]...

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think i'm gonna bet on the SSH...because of the size of the egg...its to big for my silkie to lay, i think.......now....where is my little silkie laying!..lol...i cant find her eggs anywhere!...also, what color will a silkie/polish lay?..i cant find those 2 girls eggs anywhere...[​IMG]..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by