Who laid this egg??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueJuniper, Nov 15, 2016.

1. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Sorry I just got my first egg, and I am ecstatic to find out who laid it. I have some Ideas, that it could be our plymouth rock, or our light brown leghorn/cream leg bar, or it could even be our cochin, for her waddle and comb is very full and red.

We got the cream leg bar/ leghorn not knowing what her breed was initially, so if the egg helps determine her breed, that would be wonderful.
    [​IMG]
    I am led to think that our mystery chicken could have possibly laid this egg because her rear end is extremely elongated, and wider than that of our determined ones who didn't lay the egg.

I also would like to ask why the egg is so small compared to many store-bought eggs. Is this an indicator that a bantam laid the egg? Or is it that chickens just start off laying small eggs.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I thank all of you in advance.

-BlueJuniper

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You can check the vent a swollen vent means they layed a egg

3. BlueJuniper

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Do you mean a wider vent? More like a horizontal slit?

4. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Most chickens lay small eggs at first, they take a week or two of production to get to "normal" size. No idea who laid your egg, I've always had a small enough flock that I could more or less figure this out by just watching who was spending more time than her sisters hanging out in the coop or sitting in a nest box. Have you seen anyone go off by herself while everyone else is outside?
    Congratulations! First eggs are always exciting!

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Not the legbar/leghorn mix. CCL lay blue eggs, and blue eggshells are dominant, so the resulting chicks would lay blue eggs.

That leaves the Cochin and the Rock. Maybe you could post pictures of your chickens? Sometimes you can tell just from a photo which is laying, or about to lay.

Pullet eggs are always small, but should get bigger as the chicken matures.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  6. BlueJuniper

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. BlueJuniper

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. RoosterRiot

RoosterRiot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    I am under the impression that a pink comb (not a bright red) is an indicator that a hen is using nutrients to produce. I could be wrong.

That first hen you posted looks like a welsummer. Her egg would be darker though. I think the rock probably laid your egg.

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Not a welsummer. They don't have crest. She looks like a CCL cross to me, and so should lay blue eggs. So, most likely the BR laid it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by