Who laid this egg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LynnPG, Feb 4, 2017.

1. LynnPG

LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    This egg is BIG. Found it this morning in our egg box. We have 2 easter egger, red sex link, Silver Laced Wyandottes, silky and a Royal Plum turkey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, it can't be from the Silkie, Easter Eggers, or Royal Palm turkey, since those breeds/species don't lay large brown eggs. That means it must be from the Red Sex-links or Silver Laced Wyandottes. Since both breeds lay large brown eggs, it is impossible to tell which of the two possible layers laid this particular egg.

When you crack the egg open, I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least a double yolker.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 3 -- with the caveat that not all birds sold as Easter Eggers will actually produce blue or green eggs and many do, in fact, produce eggs in various shades of brown (which opens up the other can of worms regarding the debate of what makes an EE and EE, lol). That being said, in this situation, if OP is regularly receiving 2 blue/green eggs in a day then the presumption is that these two EE do produce colored eggs.....but it's important not to automatically discount an "EE" as the source of a "plain" egg if their egg color is unknown.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My experience is the sex links lay larger and/or more frequent double yolkers, so my money's on her.

6. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Wow, my Ameraucana is a large blue green egg, the easter egger is a small blue green egg, the sex link is a medium light brown and the silver laced wyandotte lays extra large brown eggs. I can't wait to crack it open tomorrow morning. Everyone wants to crack it now, but I want to eat it.

7. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Looks like a double yolker. I bet that one hurt!

8. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    [​IMG]

Winner is DOUBLE YOLK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by