Who laid this egg?

ebretzel

Chirping
Jul 15, 2016
I have 3 young hens (approximately 5 months old): a speckled sussex, a Buff orpington and an Easter Egger. I also have a 1.5 y/o welsummer who has been laying lovely brown speckled eggs consistently.

The other day we got a light-colored, speckled egg that was definitely a different color than our welsummer eggs. However, it was about the same size and i was expecting small eggs from our first-timers. Could this have been a weird off-color egg from our Welsummer? Or do you think it might be one of the younger ladies? We used to have a BO that laid tan solid eggs, not speckled and I thought speckled sussex eggs would be solid tan as well. (expecting the EE to lay blue or green, hopefully)

"new egg" on left, Welsummer egg on right:

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 1.04.35 PM.png

Both of them look like Welsummer eggs too me, except the one on the left didn't go through the coloring process correctly, if you get another egg like that, then it's a different chicken. No need to worry if the coloring process is messed up because it will gain control again without matainence.

IMHO, I think it is a different hen. I don't have speckled Sussex,, but plan on some next summer, I have 4 EE adults 4 + yrs old, 2 of which lay blue/green eggs, 1 lays a light tan and one lays a chalky off white egg. The two that lay the blue and green sometimes have just a shade lighter egg but never completely different and their shapes are pretty much always the same. Your picture has definite shape difference. Not all EE's will lay the blue or green egg, sorry spoiler alert, but haven't seen any lay that pretty speckled egg either. Keep an eye out or possibly separate to see who is laying what. :) Also not all EE's with slate legs lay green or blue eggs. guess that all goes back to genetics and what was bred with the parents to get that pretty Easter Egger. Always a learning game. The eggs are really pretty and add some beauty to the basket. Best to you.

Did you get both those eggs on the same day?
If not, then I'd bet it's the Wellie.
She may be slowing production down to get ready to molt,
can get some funky eggs during that process.

No we did not get them both on the same day. Only 1 egg on any given day :-( I wish everyone else would hurry up already.

I think those are both welsummers. I had something like that happen, but she got the color back to normal in a few days.

UPDATE: Our little ones started laying last Friday! Small, creamy colored eggs -- as I would expect from a BO & SS. Our weirdly colored egg most certainly was a fluke Welsummer egg!

Back
Top Bottom