WHO laid this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Jan 10, 2010.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I have 12 chickens -- 10 of which I am certain are hens/pullets. I have two that I am not sure of.
    The egg I got today is a lovely chocolate brown.

3 NHR (pretty sure it's not them); 3 BO (ditto); 2 BR (ditto); 2 WR (ditto); 1 BLRW (but it's saddle feathers seem awfully pointy to me); 1 Aracauna (not positive -- maybe girl -- but don't they lay other-colored eggs?)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My bet would be the NHR.

ETA: BO and BR lay light brown eggs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks. Actually, one of my NHRs (Mrs. Batty) did start out laying this color egg. After a couple of weeks, they changed to light brown with chocolate speckles (I can always ID her eggs). What does this mean, if she is the one laying the all-choco eggs?

4. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    I believe Arucanas can lay brown eggs... something like a 1 in 4 chance. Especially if they are "easter eggers" and not true aruncanas.

5. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    is she just starting back to laying after a molt?? or has she taken a couple days off?? the one who was laying the speckled eggs?? could be that start of the cycle thing... ??? maybe??

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a BR who lays a milk chocolate type egg usually and one who lays a pretty dark chocolate brown egg. The NHRs I had laid an egg similar in shape and color to my Delawares, a peachy-tan with shiny finish. Hard to say since it's really individual.

I'm betting your "Araucana" is an Easter Egger. All true Araucanas and Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. EEs can lay any color egg, being crossbreeds, but they more often than not lay green ones. Many EEs lay brown eggs.

Where in the cycle does matter. Eggs lighten up over time as they lay more and more.

7. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Speckledhen can you post a picture of your BR eggs you're talking about? I'm by no means an expert on breeds but could those dark egg layers be cuckoo marans instead of barred rocks? I have marans and you described most of their egg colors.

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    YAY!!! You got a choco-egg!!! Sure wish my girls would lay a chocolate egg!! [​IMG] My guess is whoever has been eating the hershey's kisses is the one who laid the choco-egg! hee hee hee....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by