1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who laid this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elevan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Chicken (please reply with the breed you think)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Duck (East India)

20 vote(s)
    95.2%
  3. Guinea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Riddle me this....WHO laid this greenish black (flecked) egg? Your choices are...one of my many breeds of chickens, guinea or East India Duck...or some wild bird that snuck in...because I'm clueless. I thought our East India girl started laying last year and it was a brown waxy egg....

[​IMG]

Breeds of chicken that I have:
    Golden Buff
    Scillian Buttercup
    Salmon Faverolle
    Easter Eggers
    Barnevelders
    Buckeyes
    German Spitz...
    Buff Brahma
    Barnyard Mix

Breeds of duck that I have:
    East India (I thought she started laying last year and it was a brown waxy egg...) :/
    Barnyard Mix (I know it's not her...she's been giving me an egg for months now)

Then I have guineas.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Em, there were two East Indie ducks at a Humane Society up for adoption a few weeks ago; I did a bunch of research into them, and found a few pictures of eggs that look exactly like that egg you posted. They turn lighter as the season progresses. I would be really surprised to hear it's anything other than your East Indie gal!

3. elevan

Then I'm really really really confused because just last week I found a brown waxy egg (flecked with darker brown and green) in the barn that I attributed to the East India girl. I only have 2 female ducks! Oii!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Are you suuuuuuuuure?

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I've got two brown ducks that lay a black egg at the start of the laying period. Over time they fade to blue with waxy brown spots. I'd say that that black egg is definitely from your BEI and most likely the waxy brown one too.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    It looks like a duck egg to me.[​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Em, I don't know how it works with ducks, but with chickens - Marans anyway - their eggs are now always the same shade. Maybe your EI gal laid both the brown one AND the black one?

8. elevan

Well...

It's not a duck egg. I can say that for certain.

Last night ducks got locked out of the coop because they wouldn't come off of the pond. There were NO eggs in the coop last night. This morning when I opened the coop, there's another one of those eggs...and there were only chickens and guineas in the coop.

So, the question remains...who laid that egg?

9. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I had a cayuga duck that layed nearly black eggs, just like the egg pictured, early in the season. After that, the eggs faded to light blue/green/grayish with darker waxy spots.
    But, if the ducks were locked out of the coop, it would be pretty tricky for the East Indie to get in to lay the egg.

Chel

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    possible the egg was already in the coop, just not obvious, when you locked up? I've found sometimes they hide them in the bedding and other birds may stir the bedding, or actually round them up and move them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by