Who laid this egg?

Who laid this greenish black egg?

• Chicken (please reply with the breed you think)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Duck (East India)

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • Guinea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

elevan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Morrow Co ~ Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Riddle me this....WHO laid this greenish black (flecked) egg? Your choices are...one of my many breeds of chickens, guinea or East India Duck...or some wild bird that snuck in...because I'm clueless. I thought our East India girl started laying last year and it was a brown waxy egg....

419009_2769073983559_1159251741_32316145_280662014_n.jpg

Breeds of chicken that I have:
Golden Buff
Scillian Buttercup
Salmon Faverolle
Easter Eggers
Barnevelders
Buckeyes
German Spitz...
Buff Brahma
Barnyard Mix

Breeds of duck that I have:
East India (I thought she started laying last year and it was a brown waxy egg...) :/
Barnyard Mix (I know it's not her...she's been giving me an egg for months now)

Then I have guineas.

Em, there were two East Indie ducks at a Humane Society up for adoption a few weeks ago; I did a bunch of research into them, and found a few pictures of eggs that look exactly like that egg you posted. They turn lighter as the season progresses. I would be really surprised to hear it's anything other than your East Indie gal!

Then I'm really really really confused because just last week I found a brown waxy egg (flecked with darker brown and green) in the barn that I attributed to the East India girl. I only have 2 female ducks! Oii!

I've got two brown ducks that lay a black egg at the start of the laying period. Over time they fade to blue with waxy brown spots. I'd say that that black egg is definitely from your BEI and most likely the waxy brown one too.

Then I'm really really really confused because just last week I found a brown waxy egg (flecked with darker brown and green) in the barn that I attributed to the East India girl. I only have 2 female ducks! Oii!

Em, I don't know how it works with ducks, but with chickens - Marans anyway - their eggs are now always the same shade. Maybe your EI gal laid both the brown one AND the black one?

Well...

It's not a duck egg. I can say that for certain.

Last night ducks got locked out of the coop because they wouldn't come off of the pond. There were NO eggs in the coop last night. This morning when I opened the coop, there's another one of those eggs...and there were only chickens and guineas in the coop.

So, the question remains...who laid that egg?

I had a cayuga duck that layed nearly black eggs, just like the egg pictured, early in the season. After that, the eggs faded to light blue/green/grayish with darker waxy spots.
But, if the ducks were locked out of the coop, it would be pretty tricky for the East Indie to get in to lay the egg.

Chel

Last edited:
possible the egg was already in the coop, just not obvious, when you locked up? I've found sometimes they hide them in the bedding and other birds may stir the bedding, or actually round them up and move them.

Back
Top Bottom