Who laid this funky egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Ok, I have 2 Barred Rock, 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Welsummers all between 18 and 24 months of age. Here are the eggs I collected today:
    [​IMG]
    The blueish one is easy, that's one of the Easter Eggers, the light tan...no problem it is one of the Barred Rock's eggs. The Welsummers can show a lot of variety in their eggs but they are always darker brown, larger and have dark chocolate spots (sometimes very tiny spots, some like the one above, larger spots, sometimes uniform, sometimes "dip dyed") But who layed the terracotta egg with the purplish spots!? That's a first!

2. I have never had one of my BR's or EE's lay a dark brown egg so I would guess a Welsummer. Are the above chickens your only ones?

Wish ya the best.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:Yes, those are my only adult chickens. I figure you are correct. It does amaze me, however, the variety of eggs that a Welsummer can produce. It is like each one has been carefully and creatively painted so that no two are exactly the same.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The top two are from Welsummers. I think I get a different looking egg just about everyday from my one. Must be something in the shell coloring step that is different in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by