Who laid this HUGE EGG?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hillaryg, Aug 17, 2016.

1. hillaryg

hillaryg New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    California
    We came home yesterday to find this huge egg! In the picture, it is next to one of our normal large eggs. Does anyone know if it came from a golden sex link, buff orp, or easter egger? I have yet to determine who is laying what. I have six hens and getting five eggs a day so I am very curious as to who is laying which ones. Sorry if this is a silly question. I am new. Do you think she will lay this large all the time?[​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    No silly questions! See all those store bought eggs are nice and uniform. Raising your own birds, you'll see things that people who buy the processed eggs won't ever see unless they have a laying flock. Wavy shells, huge double yolk eggs, small "fart" eggs, shell-less eggs etc. None of these are usually a cause for concern if they don't happen regularly. As the girls lay more and more, their eggs will even out in size. Still, every once in a while you may get a funky looking egg! It's hard to tell which bird laid which. It most liekly wasn't the EE. You'll know she laid when you find a bluish to green egg. Most of my Orps lay a pale brown colored egg, so my educated guess would be that it came from your BO. That's just a guess though. Crack that egg open; it may have a double yolk! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    That's the pale beige color I've seen from my one Buff Orp. Ditto on the double yolk--you could hard boil it and slice it in half and take a cool picture for posterity!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! I agree, it looks like its from an Orpington. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! :)

6. hillaryg

hillaryg New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    California
    Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! I'm glad to hear it is most likely one of my buff :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a great egg, what can she do for an encore? Welcome to BYC.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Lynn-n-JimsVT

Lynn-n-JimsVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    We have 9 RSA reds who began laying this summer around July (we got them as chicks in March). We consistently get 9 eggs per day and almost since the beginning have been getting one of these honkers 2 yolks in the mix every single day. The latest one was just huge! Like a duck egg. Hope our gal's ok!

[​IMG]

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! Wow, huge egg! It does look like the color of a Buff Orp, but I know that Golden sex links have a history of laying massive eggs. I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by