Who laid what?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I went to gather eggs this morning. To my suprise there were 4 eggs instead of 3. I got 2 light brown, 1 darker light brown, and 1 light brown with brown speckles. I know the 2 light brown eggs came from my RIR girls. But who laid the other 2? I have Easter eggers, RIRs, Cochin, And one other that I am not sure of. I was told she is a Buff cochin. Can anyone tell me who laid the 2 eggs?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I know my RIR lays eggs with speckles sometimes.

3. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Then that may be it. I have 4 RIRs and only 2 have been laying. And the speckled egg is kinds small. So maybe she is just starting and wanted to give me some pretties! lol. I am thinking about putting a video camera in the coop to see who is doing what. IS this a good idea?

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My blue cochins lay dark brown eggs, but my partridge cochins lay very light, creamy brown eggs. It all depends on their genetics.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mother,
    I have often thought of setting up a camera to see what is going on in the nesting boxes. My hubby kinda laughed at me then tought it would be kinda cool.

6. mother hen to many!

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I am going to talk to DH in a bit about it. I also think it would be fun for my kids to watch. They always wanna go see if they can see one laying. So maybe it could work out good for me. Yeah... That will be my sales pitch for Dh. Education for the kids. lol lol

7. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    My RIR pullet is laying specked eggs. Some have just a few speckles and some have quite a few.. they are teeny speckles and pretty hard to see. Her eggs are also a reddish brown color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by