Who layed the little blue egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Delmar, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I have five adult chickens only one of which lays blue eggs. She went broody and had a hatch 4 weeks ago. I also have a group of girls that are 21 weeks old some of which should be EE. Yesterday I got a little blue egg. About 2/3 the size that my EE was laying before she stopped.

So the question is, do hens start back with smaller eggs after coming back from being broody, or is it more likely that the next generation is coming of age?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I HOPE it's the new ones [​IMG] That's just one more hen that started to lay! Unfortunately, I really am not sure.. Wish I had some EE's [​IMG]

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    could be either way really, I had a pullet go broody at about 8-9 months of age, she laid darker brown eggs before then after going broody she laid smaller tan eggs for a while then they began getting darker in color and bigger in size, now she has stopped laying again yet I can not see how she went broody since I have not seen any eggs anywhere lol chickens are so confusing lol

If your chicken laid blue eggs before it could be her, keep an eye on her to see if she is hanging out in the nest boxes

4. Delmar

Quote:I hope so too! but I'm sure sure that someone with experience with broodies will have an answer for me soon.

5. Delmar

Quote:See that's the thing. My chickens free range and the nesting boxes are where she and the chicks hang out.It's pretty cute.

6. Delmar

Quote:So it could well be her's. Darn it!

7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I bet it is the new one. I have 4 ee. They all lay different shades of green, so I know when who is laying. My youngest lays a cute little blue green egg. One went broody and when she started back, they were the same. One stopped during super hot weather and a molt and her's also started back the same.

8. Delmar

Quote:I have talked to a couple of people who have told me that a broody can well, have smaller and even slightly different colored egg when they first start back laying. So I think the answer is, it is going to take me a while to figure it out.

9. Delmar

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I just discovered that all 6 of my girls that hatched in May have been laying all week! There were 29 eggs here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by