1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who layed this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AuntNomi, Feb 3, 2016.

1. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    [​IMG]

In my second coop I have 8 hens all 22-23 weeks old. 3 Orpingtons, 2 Welsummers, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 1 Golden Lace Wyandotte. One of the Orpingtons started laying on Monday and has continued to lay an egg each day since. Today I found this egg which is a little lighter in color then the Orpingtons, but has these purplish spots all over it. It is also a pretty big size egg. I looked up the breeds here on BYC to check their egg colors again, I think it would belong to one of my other Orpingtons possibly. I just wanted to ask on here to see if anyone agreed with me or thought other wise, as it is just a strange egg? Thank you for any help or advise.

Also I forgot to add that I have an Australorp that is 11 months old that has yet to lay an egg. Could it be hers?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Welsummer. Mine do that now and then.

3. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

Oh ok thanks, I did not expect it to be one of them as I read their eggs would be dark brown. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The spots are the dark color that is applied as the last step. You can rub the spots off. the spots will lessen and the egg will darken.

5. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    Oh ok thanks for that info. I appreciate it. None of mine are going to be free ranging today as it has rained all night and still raining, so hopefully I will know something definite since they can not get out. Cause I have 2 Welsummers.

6. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    We think these eggs that look like this are actually from our turkey "Tom"! lol the Turkeys name was Annie Oakley originally then we decided we thought she was a he.....Now we think he's a she... What do yall think?
    We googled turkey eggs, and found identical eggs to ours..

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    That's a turkey egg... :)

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2, definitely a turkey egg :)

9. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    Wow, thanks so much! I am so glad we know now.

10. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    [​IMG]

It is definitely our turkey laying these eggs. We thought the turkey was male, as I was told so by many other people. But we found her here in the woods on a nest of 5 eggs. But she's our only turkey so I do not guess we will be getting babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by