Who lays a speckled brown egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephhassler, Jan 22, 2010.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    I have one girl who lays a beautiful dark brown speckled egg. My options are barred rock, rir, white langshan, columbian wyandotte, dark cornish, or white crested polish. I'm leaning toward the rir. I also have some mutts that I got from my sister. She says it can't be one of those because none of the possible parents on her farm layed speckled eggs. I'm not good at genetics, is it possibly a recessive gene? Could it be one of the mutts?

[​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i have two that lay speckled eggs, and one is a barnevelder and the other is a RSL. not sure if it has anything to do with genetics...might just be her own unique paint job!

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I hope its the RIR because I have one of them who will start laying in a month or so...

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Several of my brahma girls lay speckled egg from time to time. With them at least it doesn't seem to be a genetics things - I don't know much about genetics, but it seems to me if it were genetics it would happen more frequently. It just happens. [​IMG]

5. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Well I currently have

2 Cochin
    1 Plymouth Rocks
    2 Austrolaps
    2 Star Reds
    2 Buckeyes
    2 Speckled Sussex

That all lay brown eggs. I get 3 or 4 with spots on them like that. could be any of them. Good luck on your search

6. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Oh -- that reminds me - I also have a buff brahma - maybe it's her? Whoever it is, she lays it daily, not just every once in while.

7. mrstiffanymayer

mrstiffanymayer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Bakersfield California
    My plymouth barred rock lays eggs EGGSACTLY like that [​IMG]

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Several of my Barred Rocks lay eggs like this-not consistently speckled-but of and on.

9. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my BR's lay a lighter brown speckled egg and my New Hampshire lays a darker brown very speckled egg that looks a ton like that one.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My buff brahma lays eggs like that sometimes. She does lay regular plain eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by