1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who lays biggest eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Aug 17, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I am wondering which chickens lay the largest eggs? Actually, probably white leghorns? But who's next? Do brown leghorns lay a large egg also? They would be a little prettier. I would like to get some layers who lay a pretty good size egg.
    I have recently acquired 8 RIR hens and a roo from a neighbor who is going into turkey raising in a big way, so can't have chickens on his place. They have been laying about a year, and still lay a smallish egg. Soon after they started laying for him, I got a couple dozen eggs from him and incubated them. Saved the pullets, and when they started laying, they laid a very small egg--about the size of my Silkies eggs, and they hadn't gotten any larger after a couple months, when I sold them. I had always thought RIR's laid a pretty good egg. comments? Thanks.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i thought so too. id like to hear the reply as well.

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I buy farm fresh eggs from down the road. She has a few varieties of hens and the biggest eggs come from the RIRs.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My largest eggs come from production breeds such as leghorns, production red's and so on. However, the largest eggs, come the second year of laying.

5. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The biggest I have ever seen on a consistent basis were from a friends Turkens. You might check out the Henderson's Chicken Chart. It has egg size info there.

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Sorry to hear that . Because I have several RIR's and all their eggs are large brown eggs .... EVEN the new layers are large eggs

7. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Hmmm. I just posted and it didn't show up. The Henderson chart doesn't show many listings with large eggs, does it? I can't imagine why my RIR's are laying such small eggs. The H. chart shows them as large egg layers, as well as a couple of you who are replying say you get large eggs from RIR's.
    My neighbor/friend who gave me these got them as baby chicks from a farm store, who got them from a hatchery, I am sure. Strange!!??? [​IMG]

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:How old are they ?

I know their 1st. few eggs are on the small to med. size , but after that , they are large .

9. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Liz, the 8 hens I was given have been laying since last summer. I guess they are about a year and a half old now. Still laying eggs pretty small, tho a little bigger than a silkie egg now, usually.

10. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:That is very weird . LET me show you a picture of my lil grand daughter holding 2 eggs from a NEW LAYER and to me they were kinda on the small size . BUT that sure changed QUICK .

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by