who lays first?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bleith, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    free range or run kept birds?

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    When a chicks gotta lay, she's gotta lay.....lol [​IMG] Really I can't say but I don't think it matters if they are free ranged or not. What I think matters is the age & breed and chicks system itself.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whichever one is getting the optimal nutrition to mature at the optimal rate, I would imagine, whether that be from free ranging or commercial feed. :)

I've heard of chooks on inferior feed maturing (and therefore starting to lay) later.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I live in a suburb of Chicago and my birds range in our yard on average of 6 hours a day. They have access to water, layer feed (organic) (not that that matters) and have free choice grit and oyster shells. They also get some kitchen scraps and some scratch once in awhile.

I have 1 delaware, 2 Black Australorps and 1 EE. abot 22 weeks old. Obviously I want them to lay, but was just curious if anyone has heard of any studies on this topic. Regardless, mine will range in yard as much as I can let them. They are the best thing to watch etc...

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't know about your other breeds, but my three Black AUstralorp hybrids (crossed with ISA browns) all started around 27 - 31 weeks.

6. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    M.sue :

When a chicks gotta lay, she's gotta lay.....lol [​IMG] Really I can't say but I don't think it matters if they are free ranged or not. What I think matters is the age & breed and chicks system itself.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by