1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who lays the darkest-Cuckoo, Welsummers, or Barnevelder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angie8eggs, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I am getting all these kinds for the first time, and it's like Christmas for me; I can't wait to see my brown egg presents!! But to those of you that had raised these, I just want to know who lays the darkest darkest brown. I have a few egg customers of mine and they would like to have some dark brown ones for decorating purposes. I would just like to know so I can order some more next month. Thank you!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    My Welsummer (Feedstore Quality) lays a medium brown egg, though its a pretty big egg (though she is a lb bird XD) while my Barnevelders (Show Quality) lay a medium brown + Red tinted egg. It can vary per day but I as kinda disappointed out of these three birds they didn't lay SUPER dark eggs, though I've heard good about Marans having those SUPER dark eggs (which makes me glad have a small maran mix pullet :D)

3. Angie8eggs

Apr 17, 2012
    Awesome! Thank you for your reply! By the time they are laying it will be about Fall time [​IMG] I just want to see them now. I googled images and some were super dark, and some were medium like you described. Maybe here and there I will get a dark one. You've been very helpful, thank you! :)

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Marans are known for the deep, dark brown eggs, but most Cuckoo lines are medium brown layers. It's the show quality Black Coppers that have the darkest egg color.

5. Angie8eggs

Apr 17, 2012
    Good to know! Thanks Junebuggena! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by