who lays white eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoyalHillsLLC, Jul 23, 2007.

1. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I am sure I could find it somewhere here, but my daughter asked me if we could get a chicken that lays big white eggs like the ones in the store. What breeds can I look at? I free range and don't want just some broiler house hens. I want breeds better adapted than that. What are some thoughts on that subject? I have a couple white bantams that lay brown eggs, Aracaunas that lay green eggs, now she wants some white eggs to go with them.

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
  3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Most of your Mediterannean breeds, like Leghorns and Anconas.

4. gc tiger

gc tiger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Pass Christian, Ms
    Mcmurray Hatchery is a great source of information for which chicks lay white eggs. Just google it and the website will pop up.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
  6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    yep, I agree to go to www.mcmurrayhatchery.com and click at the top center of day old chicks, then click on each breed to discover everything new that you didn't know.

bigzio

7. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Dont think mccmurrys has anything for sexlinks?Didnt see anything....might b wrong.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    yep, they have red star and black star...

bigzio

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    MM calls their sex-links Black Stars and Red Stars. I love my MM Black Stars!

Anyway, a good rule of thumb, white earlobes=white eggs, red earlobes=brown eggs, applies to most breeds, and actually can't think of any it doesn't apply to right now(except for tinted egg layers). [​IMG]

10. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    OMG!I learned something new about my babys!I am truly in love with BigBlackmomma!Black star she is?Id quess so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by