who leaves their chickens in the coop when it rains?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Oct 28, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Inquiring minds want to know! it's been pouring for two days and their pen is sloppy, messy [​IMG] and I haven't had a chance to dig it out and replace with sand and I doubt if I will before the snow flies. Half of the pen is enclosed with a tarp but do think they would be smart enough to go there? But nooooooooo! [​IMG] so who leaves them in?

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I always open their coop unless the rain is blowing into it.

3. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    My coop is open every day at sunrise or before rain or shine. They wade in the mud and never complain.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Mine look awful, but they won't voluntarily stay in the coop unless its raining cats and dogs. So I let them come and go as they please.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Mine, too. There have been plenty of threads on here on this subject, and I'd say this is the usual approach.

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I don't make any exceptions for rain, but we don't get much of that here. [​IMG] We do however get snow. Unless the wind is howling and filling the coop with snow or it is under 15 degrees then I open the door. Yes! they do go out in the snow and they don't mind 18-20 degrees! I know, they are crazy Montana chickens!!!

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine are always free to go in the coop or stay in the rain. They usually choose to look like drowned rats by staying in the rain.

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Unless we're having Blizzard conditions or tornado like winds, they are free to come and go as they please!

9. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Only when it is pouring outside do I leave them locked up for the day and on really cold winter days (sub zero here don't want frozen combs). If I have really young chicks I will block them in but let the older birds out because they have the good sense to come in when they are cold & wet where the little ones don't some times.

10. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    MIne stay out in the rain as well! I leave the coop open from about 4 or 5 pm until they go in to roost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by