Who lets a broody raise their meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KYChixMama, May 19, 2011.

1. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Considering trying this next time instead of the usual brooder/grow pen/etc. Any input?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I think they would grow to fast for the mother hen to do much raising?

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I did it last year with one of my broody White Rock hens, who helped me raise 20 CX chicks. You can find an entire thread on their progress from start to finish in this section. It was an interesting experiment and one I wouldn't hesitate to repeat as the outcome was so satisfactory.

4. wheresmypeeps

wheresmypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Haha... sounds like a nice plan. We have a female dog for whom that type of 'nurse'/sub mama role was very much to her natural liking. She was from our dogs' first batch of pups (miniature schnauzers) and helped mama raise all of the subsequent batches, very much to her delight and her mama's relief. Now she has her eyes on our chicks... I think if we let her and them out in the yard together she would mother them up good! [​IMG] (See my images/pics for a shot of her guarding their 'cage'.) Pretty sweet, actually. They figured her out and now she has to keep her nose back a bit from the cage or one will peck her on the nose! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  5. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Awesome thread - that is exactly what I had hoped to expect. I think I'll let the next group we raise go with a broody.

6. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I did it last year too, was awesome. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by