Who lets their Muscovies fly around?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I am not talking about people who have feral muscovies visiting, but people who actually 'keep'/raise them.

I have one that I have let fly around a bit the past two days. She just does a circle and then comes back.

But I don't want to lose her. She has many companions in the pen, too.

Ever lost one. I'm sure some of you have.

I'll probably clip her wings, like the others.............

2. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Quote:I have five Muscovies and I pinioned them when one day old to keep them from flying. Altho I have 2.5 acres, I live in an urban neighborhood and did not want them visiting the neighbors. My property is 6' chain link and so far, they have stayed home.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi John, Good to see you back. [​IMG]

We let our Scovies fly around. We're on about 2.75 acres in a country neighborhood. Of course, the girls do most of the flying. They usually fly up to the carport roof, across to the shed and over to the house. The boys try to fly and a few do make it up about 3' when I'm chasing them out of the front yard or away fm the road ([​IMG]). It's pretty amazing to watch them fly around isn't it? I've only been clipped by one girl when it was pretty dark and she decided she wanted to fly fm the duck house up the hill and around the corner to join the girls on our house roof. I told her she should hustle up to the house earlier so she wouldn't run into things. [​IMG] She must have listened since it hasn't happened again. Anyhow, we have lost one small blue girl. A neighbor across the street fm us thought she saw her fly over her place. I'm thinking something either frightened her and she flew off and got lost or there was a pecking order brawl on the house roof, which went on for a few days [​IMG] ,and she was on the losing end, flew off and got lost. Sad either way as she was a sweet pretty little thing & I'd hoped to find her a new home.
    Probably more info than you needed but was feeling a bit chatty. [​IMG] Now I am off to clean the duckhouse before we get crazy busy w/business again.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My two 'Scovy girls have been free-ranging for about a year and a half and haven't had any trouble. We never clipped their wings so they have the ability to get around much more.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I do!! We are on 3 acres, in a rural setting. We have a pond in our one horse pasture that they go to, even at night. It is surrounded by electric fence, but just to give them a chance in case a predator ever did come, I think we are going to leave them. I also personally love watching them when they do fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by