who lives who dies????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazyhen, Dec 17, 2010.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I am not a breeder as such. I do hatch eggs occ. when I have a broody. Now I have two roos and can not keep them both. I have a mixed marans(cockoo+wheaten marans) and a pure bred splash orp. The cockoo mix is not friendly but if I use him I might have some olive eggs. The orp is friendly but gets sooooo big that they are hard on the hens. What do I do? I think deciding who to cull and who to keep is my hardest decision in chicken keeping. I like them all. I am getting older and upping the num. of chickens is not a option. I want to keep it at around 18 to 20. I have some hens who will have to go too. It is heart breaking. I never knew it would be so hard.
    I have culled a roo or hen before but I really hate it. How do you handle it? I can still see the ones I have culled. Yes I know they have lived a good life but that does not help. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Have you thought about rehoming some? That may be what you had meant, but the finality of your post made it sound like culling meant "processing" if you get my meaning. If you rehome them on say, craigslist, you can always think that they got a wonderful full life after they left you...

3. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just going to suggest the same as Crazyhen. What if you sold him with a couple of the older hens? Make the price really inexpensive and explain that they are slowing down a little, you just want them to have a good home. I've heard of other members placing older birds that way instead of culling, I was thinking of doing the same because I'm attached to the ones I've had now for awhile so someone suggested it.

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I've rehomed 2 roosters via Craigslist. You may have more luck selling your pure-bred.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Thanks everyone I think you gave me a good Idea. We have a tell it and sell it show on our radio channel here. After christmas I will advertise them there. I also have some layers that I need to down size. Some are just entering lay and some have layed for over 1 year. I want some more diversity. In the spring I can get some Dels and black orps hopefully. Maybe an an English black one too. I love my orps. I have one br. Leghorn, 2 EE's just starting to lay and two comets that are starting their second winter. All are laying. If anyone wants them let me know. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by