1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Who loves SMORES!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Jul 28, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Smores are soo good! Melted chocolate on graham crackers and a toasted to perfection marshmallow!

Usually do this over a big fire so hot you have to shield your face and make a game of lets not get burnt by it. Three burning logs would probably work, but why use three if you can pile up 30, cook some meat and sear your face pink too!
    Right now thinking of a way to make a hot plate so I can balance the cracker with chocolate on top, and have it toasted and pre melted prior to the addition of the hot hot not quite burnt mellow for sugary goodness.

But on a more city note, has anyone done this over a gas stove? Would that be a disaster in the making?

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Best way is certainly the big bonfire, but we've been doing them over the coals of our chimnea on the deck. They taste almost as good. And we found chocolate marshmallows at the local grocery store. Decadent! Don't have a gas stove but it sure sounds like it could get messy. I have a friend who makes them in the microwave. Hardly the same, but sometimes you're desparate, ya know?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We just built a new brick firepit and grandsons have to have smores parties in the evenings when they are here and catch fireflys!!......Grandma has to keep all ingredients on hand let me tell you!!!

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    they are hands down my fav treat. I have done mine in the microwave and it works really well. I just let my marshmellow go for a few seconds and watch it to make sure it is not getting over done than put my piece of chocolate on when I take it out. I let it sit for a second to let things melt and vola nice easy smore. I have never tried on over a gas stove though.

5. krackerhill

krackerhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Florida
    My youngest thought he would try stove routine one morning for breakfast to surprise me.......boy, was I surprised that one marshmallow would make such a mess [​IMG]. On the other hand try to explain the concept of a nicely browned toasty marshmallow to 30 pyromaniac cub scouts. I get my blackened...lol.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I LOVE smores! make them in the microwave, over gas or electric stove and of course campfire! I'd make one over a candle if I had to! [​IMG]

7. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    MMMMMMM,,,,smores are the best!!!! I did make them on a gas stove years ago. Just gotta be very careful. silkiechicken, you've got me drooling.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    we had some fixins left over from our last fire, i know i couldnt believe it, but i had the perfect idea...toaaster oven [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My kids love s'mores. They are always making them for late night snacks to watch TV munching.

10. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've done them over bonfires and in the broiler of an electric stove. Seems like the flame on a gas stove would be... I dunno, gassy? But I've never tried it.

For melting the chocolate.... we were at a beach fire pit that was octagonal when I discovered that you could balance the graham cracker with the chocolate on it on the corner of the metal around the fire pit so it would get melty. YUM!

Must create opportunity to eat smores very soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by