Who loves their BR?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have 2 RIR, 2 EE, and 2 BR, and out of all of them....the BR are by far THE BEST and FRIENDLIEST of the bunch. I generally don't feed them treats out of my hand (I simply leave it for them near their food), but the way they trample the other chicks to get to my hand when I come to the brooder door, you would think I was serving caviar!

All of the chicks are 5 weeks old, and since the coop isn't finished yet, I've been trying to get them out of their brooder as much as possible. I usually sit a lawn chair and read while they scratch around, and the BR always crawl up my legs and sit in my lap. SO CUTE!

I didn't know if I was really lucky, or if all BR are like this. Either way, I'm a happy chick momma :)
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I LOVE my Barred Rocks!!!!!!! (hence the username)
  3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    love mine!!!
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I love my BR! She gives me HUGE eggs and she is always "chewing me out" for something. She makes me laugh. And she's the first to get the bugs I bring to them. What's not to love?
  5. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    They are just beautiful too!! I'm sooooo glad I decided to go with them. I never imagined they would be so cuddly!
  6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I think my 5 BR's are just great. My roo is a real cool dude. I have posted pics of him several times, and will again here. Say hello to Dave!

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have 4 and I adore them-they are the bossiest, sassiest most independent of my girls.
    Always the first to jump in my lap when they want treats RIGHT NOW! Hence the reason I have scratches down my legs this evening-BR sliding off of my lap. [​IMG]
  8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    My BR pullet honks like a goose when you pet her!! [​IMG]
  9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    HANDS DOWN Barred Rocks are my favorite breed. I will ALWAYS have one in my flock. I have a 15 week old BR pullet named Joon who is super friendly and sweet. She loves being held, and when I go outside she runs to me talking talking talking. Not for treats either, she just enjoys my company I guess. She is for sure head hen though and has my 5 month old Brahma and 11 week old Wyandottes in CHECK! lol [​IMG] They are a wonderful breed and one of the best breeds for new chickens owners I think. My first chickens ever were BR.
  10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    My barred rock girls are great--except for mean marge. She just has an attitude problem. However when I pick her up and hold her for a bit, she calms down and likes me to pet her. Now my favorite br is Flo, She runs to me when I come out and loves to be held and petted. Her sister Nellie loves to talk to me and sometimes we have lengthy conversations! I love my wyandottes too but my barred rocks are the best!

Tomhusker--nice pic of Dave! No wonder you are so proud of him==he looks like a real cool guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by