Who loves their silkies? [pics welcome]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dancingchicken77, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    i have 2 pekin bantam chicks, and am thinking of getting a silkie to form a troupe of 3. silkie's sound like lovely pets too - i have 3 small children - and a spot of egg-laying thrown in as a bonus. [​IMG] and i think they look stunning.

so should i get a silkie? do you love yours? pics welcome [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH My do I ever love mine! I am SO happy I decided to get some. After hearing how "EVIL" they were I had too! [​IMG] Here are my evil babies! They are the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Never hurt anyone. They are about 8 weeks old here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Here is the ONLY pure breed I got from 25 eggs. We incubated a bunch of eggs from the chicken barn. We got the cutest little clutch of chicks. I even got a red jungle fowl and a cochin from this clutch. Here iis the pic of my baby silkie.

[​IMG]

Notice the split toes on the inside. This is the silkie trait.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    We picked up a silky by chance and only have the one. She is absolutely lovely in nature, lays like clockwork, the kids love her. Caution: watching her is nearly addictive in nature.
    The only gripe I have about mine is that she will not use the nest box because she has a cozy spot on the floor she likes, but I think that is because the people I got her from didn't have a box in her coop.

5. Be careful with your silkies. EVERY night make sure they are off the ground. They generally like to roost right on the ground. I have a wire mesh cage inside my barn. I gather up the silkies every night and put them in it. Silkies are innocent and gentle. A predator would not have any problem getting them. They really do not fly well at all. Go forth and get some MORE silkies. They love the company of their own. You will find them in a silkie pile at night.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Silkies are rotten, cruel, and evil birds. Be careful with children around
    them. They bite very hard.

I would never keep more than 2 or 3 at a time. Be warned. I have 11
    so I should know.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Silkies are rotten, cruel, and evil birds. Be careful with children around
    them. They bite very hard.

I would never keep more than 2 or 3 at a time. Be warned. I have 11
    so I should know.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

YUP and THIS is who taught me that silkies were evil. And that's why I just HAD to see for myself.​

8. Quote:My silkies are spoiled rotten. They are so cute it is cruel and they are evil becuase you keep getting more and more of them.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:My silkies are spoiled rotten. They are so cute it is cruel and they are evil becuase you keep getting more and more of them.

Now you're getting it. They trick us into increasing their numbers. Don't
    think it's about cuteness. It's really about world domination. [​IMG]

10. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    ok i have to confess, i am confused. is purplechicken just being sarcastic? if silkies are kind of viscious, what he says goes against what all the breed reviews you read say.

i know little about chickens (i've only had 2 pekin bantams for 3 weeks, that's the total of my experience ever with chickens) and i know nothing at all about silkies. please be straight with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by