Who mails eggs on Fridays or Saturdays?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrenchToast, Dec 16, 2010.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I have some showgirl eggs that I would like to get in the mail that I could send out on Friday or Saturday. My understanding (read recently from someone here on BYC) that even though mail isn't delivered on Sundays that the post office doesn't stop running behind closed doors on Sundays.
    So assuming it takes 2-3 days for the eggs to get to there destination, if I send them out on a Friday or Saturday would that delay their delivery???
    Just want to do what is best for the eggs but if I wait to ship out on Monday then they will be to old in my opinion.

Thanks

FrenchToast

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    If the eggs are freshly collected, they are usually good for 10 days. But of course it is how are darling Post Office handles them too! Maybe if you put a note on the box for them to call when it gets there, they will do it. They have called me before, even on Sunday. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have mailed some on saturdays....they almost always get there on Monday. This time of year with all the holiday mail tho I wouldn't count on any package getting anywhere in 2-3 days.

4. Sweet Chicks

Sweet Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Westland, Michigan
    Last Feb. my eggs were shipped on a Saturday and I got them on Monday. It was a 3 day ship and I had a really good hatch from them.
    [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I agree with Katy, this is a very risky time of year to ship. The package load right now is unbelievable and the weather doesn't help. A lot depends on where they are going, but make sure they are well packed and very fresh.

Good luck with them!

6. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    never do i ship on sat. mon - wed only. very riskey in dec. postal service is very busy.

7. ksf59

ksf59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    north west iowa
    I would be MORE inclined to trust a Sat shipment this time f year. Stuff moves 24-7 and they will not be sitting in my local from saturday afternoon until monday. Ship them on wenesday, and it is likey they will get to my local on the saturday afternoon truck. That means they won't get sorted for delivery until Monday.

8. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    If you ship using Express Mail there is no delay over the weekend. Express Mail is processed and delivered on Saturdays AND Sundays. If you're using Priority Mail then you might notice a slow down on Saturday and Sunday. Your package *could* be processed on the weekend, but with all the other holiday mail this time of year, there's no guarantee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by