Who makes their own bird treats?

archil

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
I have a wee cockatiel who just isnt interested in any toys at all, and who often turns her beak up at any new foods. The only things she ever seems to have fun with are honey bells but the're unnecessarily expensive and rather boring. I worry about her becoming bored and depressed from a lack of toys that she will play with, and also about her nutritional intake since all she will eat is cockatiel seed.

So I went out on a mission to create a fun inexpensive honey bell type treat with healthy bits and pieces, and this is what I came up with.

I added color to try and make them more interesting for the fussy little thing and it worked!

Everyone else wanted one, but no one wanted to share!

I plan on threading them onto strings and stuff to make them a bit more challenging or everyone.
I'm also dehydrating some fruits at the moment to add into the next batch

Anyways, I was wondering, sine this was a success for me and my little 'tiel, If anyone had any home made treat recipes that their birds especially enjoyed that I could try on her?
Preferably ones that have a good nutritional content and are easy to pull apart?!?
Also if anyone wants I can chuck my recipe up here too.

I've got too many recipes to post here. Found a lot on-line, some in a great kid's pet cooking book (altered dog recipes for birds) but mostly just regular ol' people food. We have a parrotlet, so about 1/2 the size of a 'tiel but similar sized treats needed.

For example, if I'm making corn bread, I double the batch, reserve a portion of it and make 'birdie corn bread' - add frozen veggies (corn, pea, lima bean mix), zupreem pellets, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and some red pepper flakes. The trick is to label them, or not to bake them in the oven at the same time!

I make my own granola - oats, flax seeds, pecans, maple syrup, honey, add raisins once it comes out of the oven. Parrotlet loves that! Especially if I take it and add more honey, roll it into a ball and let it 'cure' a bit. I've tried putting a small hole in a popsicle stick, threading it with a string, then mashing the above granola mix onto the stick and baking that way. Slightly messy - and she didn't care where the treat was!

She loves green pepper seeds - so when I use one in a dinner recipe, she gets the end with the seeds in it (just cut it out like usual, cut off the remaining stem so it'll sit flat, and put in cage that way). She's in heaven with that!

She also likes the following, all cooked: black beans, noodles, green peas, corn, tomato, banana, rice, tuna, chicken, salmon.....well, as you can see, she eats well!

These sound good I'll try the foods you mention at the bottom. Sometimes If I eat the food in front of her first she'll try it so I'll give these things a go
the green pepper seeds thing sounds like something she'd be into!

Back
Top Bottom