who makes thier own feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by birdbrain5, Jan 28, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    im curious about making my own chicken feed, but know its not that simple. my chickens free range for about 5 hrs a day, almost everyday. right now they are actually eating a sporting bird feed, which i want to change now that i seperated my guineas. what feed should i change them to for my laying hens and roo? what % protein? if i continue to buy rather than make my own.

and can anyone tell me how they make thier own mash? ingredients and whatnot? thanks!

2. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    look up Organics North web site. Here on BYC

All will be answered.

Good Luck

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Other than in really snowy conditions, you can likely get by with not feeding them at all if they can free-range all day. They will survive better than most people think. You can supplement with leftovers etc . You will not have nearly as many eggs doing this, but I doubt the flock would starve. Best if someone who has tried it would weigh in on this thread tho. This is just a theory of mine.

I do have neighbors who have bantams and they do not feed them. They are on their own regarding food and shelter. The people do put water out all of the time and throw leftover table scraps out. This would keep them from leaving the area. They do have losses to preds, but the flock stays about the same size. They have to hunt all over the place for the eggs tho. Also, the bantams are always around the house crapping on the sidewalks, porches, etc. [​IMG]

I think that a secure coop locked down at sundown and opened at sunrise would help in that many of their flock might lay their eggs in nests if provided.

That is about all that I really know about it.

Gerry
    [​IMG]

4. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Quote:How does one find someone elses page? Sorry idk much how to navigate the site yet.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Look at my byc page. I have been making my own for a couple years know... Lots of work, but birds do well.

I often skip the DE. I also often add a couple pounds of peanuts ground up.. In winter they love them ground shells and all. I also started using rolled oats in the dry mix, still using whole oats in the sprout mix..[​IMG]
    ON

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:How does one find someone elses page? Sorry idk much how to navigate the site yet.

Look at the far left of the message window and along with the members online name, you will see a link called 'My BYC Page'. Just click on it. In fact, try it on mine.

Gerry
    [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:Yes you will not get as many eggs and probably a higher mortality rate also. Depending on where you live, as like say Wisconsin where I live, They are stuck in the coop for several months in the winter and much snow on the ground. They Must have a well balanced diet for these months. For their lack of greens I buy alfalfa pellets and soak them in water and sprinkle a little over their food, I usually mix with some blended carrots and a bit of oil and/ or sunflower seeds.They just gobble it up so fast because they are really missing the free ranging they get in the summer. I found a wonderful article on www.Backyardpoultrymag.com. (August/September issue 2006) on home made feed.

10. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods

Look at the far left of the message window and along with the members online name, you will see a link called 'My BYC Page'. Just click on it. In fact, try it on mine.

Gerry
    [​IMG]

Nice page Gerry..
    [​IMG]
    Wow what a coop... Mine is only good in the insulation department. (Insulation R38 ceiling R26 walls) Other than that it is covered with tar paper...[​IMG]

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by