1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who Misses Their Chickies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tdgill, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

They are outside in the coop and I have Post Partum big time!!!!

I wanna bring them back in!!!

the youngest are 7 weeks and the oldest are 10 weeks. This is not good. awwww I miss em!

DBF suggested I get my own heat lamp so I can sit out there with them and be cozy. I might just convert a spare room in the house here, into a chicken room!!!!! Permanently! It CAN be done, right? I mean people keep parrots, cockatiels etc. why not a big tall pen for chickens? Actually, mine were very well behaved in this bedroom without a pen. eventually I just had linoleum on the bed and their pool off to the side. I took the top half off and they stayed in it most the time or ran around on the linoleum. got kinda tired of cleaning but it was worth it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I have grown quite fond of my little pip squeaks in the house. I can here them when they are playing and squeaking and all. and I love to go in the dining room (really it is a catch all room, we rarely eat in there) and they all look up at me and run around. we will be putting them out in the coop in a few weeks. but here is our solution..... rotating chicks! once they go to the coop we will order more, and we will have new fuzzy butts. we plan to process and sell fresh chicken, so we plan to have a good bit of all different ages at one time.

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I miss having chickens at all! You're all lucky! I can't get any until the house sells and I move. So go outside and sit with them and be happy to have them. [​IMG]

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I actually landscaped a bit outside my coop, placed a bench and a coffee table (I'm an avid coffee drinker). I have been known to forsake the comforts of my nice warm home to sit outside with my critters. (I have even put a radio out there so we can have music while I visit) :-D

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've been enjoying that last few cool days of spring remaining outside with the chickens.

All too soon it will be hotter than hades out there and my chickens will have to endure for 4 months the hottest weather on the planet.

Time to start putting ice in the waterers.

6. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Quote:Yeah, I've never had chickens EVER! I want some so badly.

I'd probably have mine indoors sometimes, maybe even permanently. You get to spend more time with them that way! Although picturing laying in soft shavings in a big chicken "shed" with chickens laying with you seems cool too.

7. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Ha, I was just telling my husband this yesterday. I spent so much time with them in the basement I'm having withdrawals. so much so that I rearranged my house so that I could move a couch into the what had been my dining room so I can watch them out the window in their coop and run.[​IMG]

8. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    LOL my solution is to get a few more. I keep my incubator running. Boy, what a addition.

9. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

ahhhhh....more chicks. So this is just a natural progression of the disease/addiction. I know someone with an incubator they don't use anymore.....

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!
    gonna go grab a chicken....brb.

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I got my second batch of chicks about a week after the first moved out. We have now had chicks in the house for about 9 wks. now and although we love our chicks it's about time to reclaim our house(till we hatch eggs next year). We did build our run so we can see them in the back yard and yes we sit with our chicks daily. Good Luck with the withdrawls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by