Who my daddy? What type of chickens?

mcurry47

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
I got the 25 brown egg layers from McMurray, but they do not let you know what you are getting. I was looking for a little help. The chicks are 3 and a half weeks old.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwconch/

If you can help narrow it down or want to see a different angle let me know.

Last edited:
You say that like I would know what an EE is?
I am new to chicken, sorry. When you say first one do you mean picture 2015?

EE is an easter egger, they are similar to ameraucanas in that they lay eggs that are green, blue, pink, cream colored. They are usually very good birds to have.

Thank you, for that shorthand knowledge. I would have to guess that it is not an EE, because I ordered the brown egg laying pullets. Although I am sure stranger things happen at the hatchery.

Well, I'd say definitely not an EE:) If you look at McMurray's website, the list for the possible candidates for the 25 brown egg-layers are as follows:

Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

With that in mind, if you look at pix of the adults listed above, you can narrow down your list. 2010 and 2015 could possibly be Partridge Rocks. 2011 could be a Delaware. 2004 a Barred Rock. 2007 and 2005 could be a Red Star, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island Red. 2003, well your choices are White Orpington, White Rock, White Giant, or White Wyandotte. Hope this helps:)

It's hard to remember the photo numbers since I have to switch back and forth, but here goes: Looks like you have several White Rocks (the white chicks, obviously). The red and white ones are probably red sexlinks. The brown & gold chick in 2010 looks like a Gold Laced Wyandotte. The black & white patterened chick is a Barred Rock. The light "brown" red chicks are most likely New Hampshire Reds or Rhode Island Reds. Hope this helps some.

yes, you definitely got some Barred Rocks, (the black and white speckled chicks), they lay lovely pink eggs. They're small on brain, big on character - bossy, curious and fairly fearless.

Quote:
With that in mind, if you look at pix of the adults listed above, you can narrow down your list. 2010 and 2015 could possibly be Partridge Rocks. 2011 could be a Delaware. 2004 a Barred Rock. 2007 and 2005 could be a Red Star, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island Red. 2003, well your choices are White Orpington, White Rock, White Giant, or White Wyandotte. Hope this helps:)

i agree with these people.​

I will try and post some individual chick pictures tomorrow on the page. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom