1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who on here has hogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bluedog, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    to day my sow had 13 pigs. i had 4 hogs befor the sow had her pigs 2 of them is for breeding the other 2 is for the Freezer. i will try to get some pics on here

2. hangemhorns

hangemhorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Morrison
    i have 5...2 are for breeding and the other 3 are for eating....

3. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Im seriously thinking about getting some hogs for the freezer....Just really have no idea what all entails of doing it right....[​IMG]

4. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I just bought my first two last week. They are 7 months old. I think I might buy another 3 pigs this weekend.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

We have two little sows. They are both for the freezer. I would love to raise a few to breed, but DH is TOTALLY against it.....for now. LOL
    We had a big boy, he is already in the freezer. One down, 2 to go. LOL

6. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have three... two gilts and a barrow.... One gilt for our family freezer, the other two for my co-workers families.... Mine are about 90 lbs right now....

I have found an endless supply of baby pigs, so there will be no pig breeding at my house.....

7. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Quote:I used scrap lumber to put together a 8X8 hog house(I have 3), made it 3 - 4 feet tall, had to buy some OSB for the walls.... Fenced in a 40X16 area(get good fence such as hog panels or cow grade woven wire fence...no welded wire)... Built an automatic feeder(found plans dated 1920 off internet)... Bought a $19 nipple waterer(metal pipe with nipple on end, install a post, lag bolt to post, then hook hose to waterer... They always have water, I do not have to refill troughs... Wouldn't work in winter...but mine piggies will be frozen long before I will be) [​IMG]

They have lots of character. I love the pigs...

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I grew up showing hogs in 4H & FFA in OK.

My coop is a hog house. My DH grandparents had them years ago and he raised them growing up and thru college. I can't talk him into any now [​IMG]

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I only buy and raise weaners... however, we've met an AI tech who can do sows, too. I'm tempted to get a sow and raise a litter per year.

10. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    thats great its good to see peps still grow there own pork . i have for years and it much better then you buy at the store. i have 2 thats all most ready for the Freezer [​IMG] and a big boar and sow for breeding and 13 new pigs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by