who on here has hogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bluedog, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bluedog

bluedog Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    to day my sow had 13 pigs. i had 4 hogs befor the sow had her pigs 2 of them is for breeding the other 2 is for the Freezer. i will try to get some pics on here

2. hangemhorns

hangemhorns Songster

May 14, 2008
    Morrison
    i have 5...2 are for breeding and the other 3 are for eating....

3. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Songster

Im seriously thinking about getting some hogs for the freezer....Just really have no idea what all entails of doing it right....[​IMG]

4. I just bought my first two last week. They are 7 months old. I think I might buy another 3 pigs this weekend.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    We have two little sows. They are both for the freezer. I would love to raise a few to breed, but DH is TOTALLY against it.....for now. LOL
    We had a big boy, he is already in the freezer. One down, 2 to go. LOL

6. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Songster

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have three... two gilts and a barrow.... One gilt for our family freezer, the other two for my co-workers families.... Mine are about 90 lbs right now....

I have found an endless supply of baby pigs, so there will be no pig breeding at my house.....

7. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Songster

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Quote:I used scrap lumber to put together a 8X8 hog house(I have 3), made it 3 - 4 feet tall, had to buy some OSB for the walls.... Fenced in a 40X16 area(get good fence such as hog panels or cow grade woven wire fence...no welded wire)... Built an automatic feeder(found plans dated 1920 off internet)... Bought a $19 nipple waterer(metal pipe with nipple on end, install a post, lag bolt to post, then hook hose to waterer... They always have water, I do not have to refill troughs... Wouldn't work in winter...but mine piggies will be frozen long before I will be) [​IMG]

They have lots of character. I love the pigs...

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I grew up showing hogs in 4H & FFA in OK.

My coop is a hog house. My DH grandparents had them years ago and he raised them growing up and thru college. I can't talk him into any now [​IMG]

9. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I only buy and raise weaners... however, we've met an AI tech who can do sows, too. I'm tempted to get a sow and raise a litter per year.

10. bluedog

bluedog Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    thats great its good to see peps still grow there own pork . i have for years and it much better then you buy at the store. i have 2 thats all most ready for the Freezer [​IMG] and a big boar and sow for breeding and 13 new pigs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by