Who or what could have done this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jahphotogal, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    [​IMG]
    My only explanation for Brunhilde's not very flattering haircut (it's almost a mullet!) is the other chickens - I can't imagine a predator got that close without actually hurting her. Plus it's been over the course of a couple of days, a few more feathers each day. There is no rooster so she's not being mounted. What's weird is I thought she was at the top of the pecking order. I haven't seen any of the others (there are four - two her age and two younger) doing anything to her.

How can I figure out who it is? And is she likely to get hurt or should I not worry? They are almost ready to lay - any day now as they are 22 weeks old.

2. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I am brand new to chickens and haven't even had any yet (the eggs are in the mail still, lol). That being said, is it at all possible that she is just moulting? From what I have read online and in my chicken book - it starts at the head and neck. I have no idea if your picture is anything remotely close to what neck/head moulting looks like, but since it's Autumn now - figured I'd at least throw the idea out there?

3. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    I'm new too, but I assume when they moult, they lose the whole feather - these look broken off as if someone bit her. (at least to me - hoping someone more expert chimes in!)

4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    It looks to me like those are new feathers growing in.

5. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I agree it looks like new feather growth to me. It's that molting time of the year, I just had a faverolle go through it and now my Leghorn has started. So, nothing to be alarmed about.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    They're pin feathers. Our poor EE is covered in them and feels like a pin cushion. [​IMG] They'll fluff out pretty quickly.

7. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    She's not too young to mount? Only 22 weeks, hasn't even started to lay yet!

8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    The teen ager molt.

9. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Nope! Young chickens molt a few times before they ever begin to lay. Our flock had at least two very noticeable molts (one around 8-9 weeks and another round around 20 weeks), though there were always some feathers drifting about. They're just growing so quickly that they keep cycling feathers to fit their bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by