Who owns a HOT TUB

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cackling Hen, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Ok we have a hot tub and for some reason when I get out our skin smells musty ewwwwwwwwwwwww. I have done everything chemical to cleaning to draining I'm stumped??? The water looks great just the musty odor

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I had a hot tub.

Sounds like you've got mold somewhere in the system.

Chlorox?... if it doesn't mess with the pipes.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chlorine is a typical sanitizer for pools and hot tubs; however bromine is more commonly used in hot tubs. Take a bottle of the water to your local pool store and describe your problem, and ask them to do a complete analysis. That may diagnosis the problem. If not, my recomendation would be to use an algecide. Possibly followed by supershocking the spa.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I fill our tub and run some bleach through. It cycles through and kills any mold and flushes it out. I know that funky smell you speak of...eeeew! [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ummm, are we talking about a hot tub
    [​IMG]

or a bathtub with jets?
    [​IMG]

I answered assuming the former, but a couple of the responses seem to indicate the later. Probably makes a difference. BTW, one does not usually fill a hot tub or drain it (maybe a very few times a year) as they contain hundreds of gallons of water.

For a bathtub, I would think that adding bromine or chlorine and running it for a couple of hours should help clean out the lines.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I am talking about a hot tub... 5 person I use bromine so I have read it is not save to use chlorine??? I did drain it It didnt take that long but did not flush the jets Guess that is my next step
    Cindiloohoo you have smell the smell huh?? So bleach is ok on the plumbing? as Mahonri said? Thanks for all the replies

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Use chlorine tablets. You can shock it and run the pump with all jets and air inlets (or is it outlets) open. There is no reason you cannot use chlorine instead of bromine. Back when we had one we used both at various times. The tablets made for hot tubs are 1" vs the 3" for swimming pools. It is a LOT easier to keep the chemicals in a pool properly balanced as the water volume is so much higher. With the much smaller size of the hot tub, a bit too muc of a chemical can really throw it off balance.

As my first post said, you really should take a sample of the water to the pool store and have them do a thorough analysis. Be sure to explain your problem. You may need to use an algecide (I know that algae tends to build up in some of the crevasses of our pool if we are not thorough. There are algecides made with silver and others with copper. Offhand can't recall which one I prefer, but it gets the stubborn algae.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by