Who plants Morning Glories

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MommaHen, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MommaHen

MommaHen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Missouri
    I've been planting them for the last 5yrs or so, always in the same place. This year I'd like to plant them all around the yard, so I'm looking for fresh ideas for new climbing set-ups, archs, arbors. If you've got pics of yours I'd love to see them.

[​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't have a pic but, years ago I used an old TV antanae tower. I strung it with strin and planted the morning glories at the bottom of the string.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I don't have to plant them. They're like weeds at my house [​IMG]

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I plant them and love them but watch you chickens around them I believe they are poisonous.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I always plant morning glories. I have had several differnt colors. I always plant some to run on chicken run. I have never had a problem with them bothering the chickens. This picture is getting into summer and they are pretty spent but still love this color.
    [​IMG]

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Good to know Julie. I am glad that you have had no problems with them and the chickens!

7. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I have lots of them. I have never planted a single one, but I do try and water them ... with round up. I have them in huge aboundance in my garden and I hate them. If you don't watch them they will pull down anything that is well set in the ground.

On a positive note though, they do have a very purdy flower. Enough that we thought about trying to move them to the coop to climb on the fence to help shade for the birds. Mine are very very deep purple. I have never seen the blue ones, they look nice. Are there lots of colors?

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I think they are beautiful along a fence or trellis. Just says summer to me. [​IMG]

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Here is a picture of my morning glory. Somewhere under all that is a pond, a lawn chair, a shopping cart, and probably Jimmy Hoffa as well.

[​IMG]

10. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    [​IMG] Jimmy Hoffa, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by