who prefers bale hay over pine shavings?

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
this may have been discussed a million times...but I see alot of people stating they use pine chips/shavings over hay.

I have to say I started using the pine shavings but found my hens would eat it down like food. That worried me? how well can they digest wood!!??

So I switched to plain ole' bale hay and have never had a problem with them clogging their crops...they sometimes swallow long pieces when competetively swallowing down treats they are afraid someone else might steal, so sometimes I see little 'hay poops' but knock on wood never had a problem with blockage.

The pine shaving make me nervous.....

How many people here use hay and how many use shavings???

Last edited:
I use Shavings on the floor and Hay in the nests. For some reason they ate the straw I used to put in the nests. I prefer hay for the same reason as you.

I do know that hay rots easier and faster than shavings though.

Hay
wink.png

I started with pine shavings but I love the hay it seems to not get knocked out of the coop as much..My chicken tried to fight me when I put him on the hay but hes fine now...
frow.gif

Great response! ok, few more questions while I got you all here! LOL

...is there any danger in eating too many pine shavings as there is too much hay? Or can the pine shavings pass?

Hay seems to be working....its all my parents used for years so I think I'll stick with it...but as far as cost...which is cheaper?

Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom